Friday, May 11, 2012

Our Little Monkey

Ok, got several windows and blinds cleaned.  A helpful tip online made it go a little faster.  Still more to go but that will have to wait for another day...I'm beat.  (Nathan's not as helpful as he thinks he is!)  On a positive note, we sold the shuffle board that was left in the basement by the previous owners for 100 bucks on Craigslist!  Score.  God bless the military.  All of our good Craigslist buyers seem to be in the army :)

Anyway, continuing on with our PA trip.  I mentioned in an earlier post I'd get back to Nathan's climbing skills he decided to exercise on this trip.  So one afternoon I put him down for a nap.  I didn't take the monitor with me but assumed he had fallen right asleep when I didn't hear a peep.  About a half hour later I hear a cry/whine.  I'm thinking, "really?"  That was a short nap.  I go up the stairs and walk into his room.  I look at his crib and do a double take, and I feel myself panic a little because the crib is empty.  I then slide my gaze to the left and spot my sweet child sitting on the rocker with a book in his hands!!!  He then pointed up to the books on the shelf.  He had cried because he wanted one of those ones instead.  "What????"  My mind tries to take this all in and figure this scenario out.  Did I forget to put him in the crib?

Nope, I vividly remember placing him in the crib and him laying down.  I even remember glancing at the monitor and seeing him IN the crib before I went downstairs.  It appears my slight worry about the crib mattress not being lowered turned out to be a valid concern.  The monkey climbed out of the crib!  And apparently decided to enjoy his time alone for awhile by climbing up into the rocker and reading himself a book.  I wish I had taken a picture.  It was priceless.  I could certainly see how he could swing his leg over the crib with the mattress being so high but I wasn't sure how enjoyable the fall would have been on the other side!

So anyway, the following night, dad, mom and I went up to his room to lower his mattress.   He was not super happy with this new arrangement.
Photobucket

So dad lowered the crib side so he could see how Nathan managed to get out.  Of course, Nathan was happy to show us.
Photobucket

It all happened so fast I could barely get the pictures.  I should have taken a video.
Photobucket

Indeed, he did just fall after getting himself swung over.
Photobucket
He didn't get hurt.  I think the drop just scared him.  We tried it again so I could get it on video but the second time wasn't as good.  I will have to have Matt post it.  Also, the second time dad caught him so he wasn't scared.  I was kind of a nervous wreck encouraging this type of behavior.  If this kid starts climbing out of his crib at home, my plans of keeping him in a crib until 2 1/2 or 3 are ruined!  I've read that it's much easier to reason with a child about staying in his bed at an older age and is often a smoother transition.  My hopes of this were draining!  Thankfully, he didn't try it once his bed was lowered at my parents, and has not attempted it at home.  Our crib at home has a really tall railing so that helps a lot.  Thank you, Lord, for your mercy on me, a tired mom who does not want a newborn at the same time I have a toddler always getting out of his bed when it's time to sleep!

Playing with the tools that were used to lower his crib.
Photobucket

On Friday, Nathan and I went to Pap & Gram Berry's.  We headed out for lunch in their new wheels.
Photobucket

Coloring at the Bread of Life restaurant.
Photobucket

Pap was great at keeping Nathan occupied.
Photobucket
Yes, my child did throw his plate on the floor and it shattered all over the tile floor.  Yes, I was embarrassed.

You won't believe what I did.  I left the headlights on in the Explorer (don't ask me why they were even on, I'm apparently too accustomed to auto headlights or something) and I drained the battery!  When the battery is dead, the key pad does not work.  And the key was in the car.  So here is my dear pap in the cold trying to break in.
Photobucket

Here's my son, thoroughly enjoying himself inside while he plays with a rooster.
Photobucket

Yep, dad and mom came up to help break in.  Dad has tools they use at the car wash.  However, the deed was done when they were about 5 minutes away.
Photobucket

Uncle John swung by and knew of a way to pop the hood without getting INTO the car.  So he popped the hood and they jumped the battery.  As soon as they had power, the doors unlocked because pap had already rigged up the drivers side of the car to hit the lock.  The lock just wouldn't work until the battery was in working order again.  What a team!
Photobucket
Those Berry men.  They know how to get a job done.  Dad would have too...I just felt bad he had to come all of the way there when we got in anyway. Of course, as usual he was unphased and just went back to work.  He is a calm, cool and collected man.  I like that about him.  So he went home and mom stayed to go home with me.

Uncle John let Nathan check out his truck.  Nathan loved it :)
Photobucket

Back inside while the battery is charging.
Photobucket

These pics are so cute of Nathan with my grandparents.  Pap even let him wear his hat.
Photobucket

And Nathan was trying to put it on pap!
Photobucket

Awww...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Grandma swinging the little monkey around.
Photobucket

He just loves this.
Photobucket

And kept coming back for more!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I wonder where she learned how to play with a kid?
Photobucket

Photobucket

Nathan is not short on love.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Grandma Berry taught him to say "Yes, Yes" that day.  It was so cute!  He still says it at home.  When he broke the plate at the restaurant apparently I said that was a "no-no".  I guess I had never said that before...with double no's.  After that he kept saying, "no-no, no-no."  He thought it was funny.  So gram taught him to say "yes, yes!"  A much more positive phrase!

Just thought I'd share with you what a detour looks like in Central PA.  There was an accident so everyone was taking another way...through a field!!
Photobucket

One night, Nathan was having a tough time falling asleep.  Mom went up and was reading to him to wind him down.  Next thing I knew, Dad was upstairs too.  Mom came back down and after awhile, I wondered how dad was doing.  I had seen on the monitor him patting Nathan and I saw his hand through the crib railing holding Nathan's.   All activity stopped so I went up to see if what I thought happened did.  Indeed, it did!
Photobucket

How sweet are these two?
Photobucket

What a good pappy.
Photobucket

1 comment:

mmncgrand said...

Your little monkey is the greatest. I loved him in Grandpa's hat and sleeping with your Dad beside him on the floor. What memories for all of you. I am sure you miss them all.