Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Clean Shoes

You know you have issues when...

So...for those of you who don't know this...I love to keep my shoes clean. I can't help it. I was born this way. This is why I find it hard to part with my running shoes that are five years old and for all practical purposes shot...but still look great! I know that when you run often, your shoe wears out and you must buy a new pair every number of months. But when they still look new...it seems like such a waste!

It was shoe washing day last Tuesday. This is my process:
1. Remove all shoelaces and removable insoles in your sneakers (not all insoles are removable)
2. Take spray 'n wash or a similar cleaning product and spray the outside soles of your sneakers.
3. Scrub the harder, rubber surfaces with a scrub brush to remove caked on dirt.
4. Re-spray the mesh, cloth areas of the sneaker with spray 'n wash and throw in the washer with the shoelaces.
5. If desired, pour detergent into the washer for extra cleaning power and begin your wash cycle.
6. After cycle has finished, remove your sneakers and shoelaces and set them on the porch or drying rack.
7. As they continue to dry feel deep satisfaction over your effort to bring back the bright whiteness of brand new shoes all over again!
8. Relish in the praises of your husband when he puts his shoes on for work the next morning and feels like a new man in his like-new kicks! (for those of you with children in school...I am betting there is a similar appreciation and enjoyment to be experienced!- you may find yourself having to buy shoes less often!)

I think there is even a lesson on stewardship to be learned in this post. That is my only redeeming thought here. That, or else I really do have issues! I guess there is no harm as long as it makes me happy, right?

3 comments:

Deb said...

here's a blog I know you will love - she is quite an organizer and cleaner as well!

http://www.chezlarsson.typepad.com/

Matt and Sonya said...

Thanks! I will have to spend more time checking out her whole blog. From what I have seen so far...she is VERY organized. I love her little office area!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Sounds like an intricate process that you have down to a science! Work it! I am impressed wiht your abilities :) Love, Rosie