Monday, June 25, 2012

Saturday

Saturday morning we got to work on painting the nursery!  My parents went with me to pick up the paint and supplies the day before.
Photobucket

Bye bye yellow ceiling!
Photobucket

Mom did a good job of keeping Nathan occupied and out of the paint!  She was showing him how to make the slinky go down the stairs.  I don't know if we got the concept...
Photobucket

We need to grab a few things so Dad kept on painting while Matt and I ran to Lowe's together.  Kind of fun...not usually just the two of us!  So we went to Target too, and out for lunch...ha ha.  Not really, but when we ran into Jen & Kyle at Target they said we should just go for lunch! :)  Dad said he'd just paint the room for us, but we figured we should learn some painting tips for when we do Nathan's room in a few years.  Or...we could just wait for Dad to come out again? :)  Putting me to work...
Photobucket
Elephant gray covering up the yellow walls!

I'm certainly not as fast as my dad, but I learned some good roller technique!
Photobucket

Excited to get the room ready for our baby boy!
Photobucket

Matt back at it.
Photobucket

Dad wanted me to try the line.  The part that terrifies me the most.  He can do it by hand!  So I nervously give it a try.
Photobucket

Oh dear, it's awful! ha ha!
Photobucket

So I didn't adopt my dad's painting skills!  I remember when I was younger going to one of our rentals to help him paint a fence.  I didn't only lack skill, I think I seriously lacked the patience and desire! Oh well.  Bet you can tell which part is what I did!
Photobucket
I told dad that thankfully, this is where the crib would go.  He was kind.  He said he didn't think it was that bad.

Sitting on the job! :)
Photobucket

It turned out great.  So glad to have dad guide us.  No final photos but you get the idea.  I'm sure you'll see more of the nursery in photos to come!

Mmmm...mom made us lunch!  She can make even simple things look good.
Photobucket
It was hard to get back to real life once they left.  Having meals prepared, sleeping in in the mornings and having Nathan entertained was kind of nice!

Oh yes, I mentioned in the previous post that dad and I had an eventful Sam's Club visit(s) the day before.  Time for that story now:

I knew I wanted to get Matt some garage storage for Father's Day.  It was a big purchase but he has been so good at letting me get things for the house and we have been talking about this storage for awhile now.  We really needed something to organize his tools and everything else we have been accumulating as homeowners.  What I didn't know was how I would get it.  Dad and I stopped at Sam's on the way to IKEA and he looked at the size and weight (300lbs!) of the boxes.  We knew they would help us with loading them but we weren't sure the Rav4 was long enough.  It wasn't long enough but he looked at some of our ties in the back and determined we could rig it up with the door tied open.

So on Friday, our birthday, dad and I went to Sam's to pick up some food and the storage.  We did great.  The Sam's guy helped load...it was HEAVY...dad rigged up the door and we were on our way.

Second problem, how do we hide it from Matt?  Mom came into the garage and somehow helped dad get the boxes out of the back, into the garage and then out our service door by the trash can.  We just needed to keep him from taking the trash out for at least a day.  Should be manageable.

We turn to head into the house and dad says to me, "did you already take the food in?"
I reply, "No..."
Then it hits us, we left the food at Sam's!  In the cart.  In the hot sun.  By the curb.  Oops.
Well, guess we should go back and hope no one took it!

We jumped back in the car, laughing, and head to Sam's Club.  When we got there, our cart was gone.  Dad went in to talk to customer service while I park.  I'm too curious, so I park quickly and follow him in.  When I get in there I see the customer service representative looking surprised and then laughing...our cart was sitting right by her.  She had JUST brought it in.  The greeter noticed it and let her know.   We told her our little story, she verified our receipt and let us on our way.  So, it kind of sat in the sun for a good half hour or more.  I won't tell you what was in the cart, but we felt it was okay!  No one got sick, it all worked out!

We tried to tell mom we had to re-buy everything, but she missed hearing that part so it didn't even get her worked up when we got home!  Oh well.  We had a hard time not telling Matt our adventure since it would spoil the surprise, but we held it in.

So everyone did a good job hiding the surprise except for me.  Nathan's diapers were stinking up the bathroom mom and dad were using and I asked Matt on Friday night if he could take them to the trash before bed.  Oops.  Mom calls me down to make sure he doesn't go out there and I realize he already has.  So I sneak back down and tell her that he obviously knows, the boxes are right beside the trash but if he isn't going to say anything I'm just going to let him fake his surprise!  I thought I'd have Nathan take him out on Saturday.

Sorry...this story is getting long.  On Saturday, it starts to rain while we are painting and mom calls me downstairs again.  We had some plastic over the boxes but probably not enough.  Nathan is still napping so I just call Matt down ask him to go get his Father's Day gift.  I said, "I know, you know!"  Here it sits, by the trash can.
Photobucket

With a note from Nathan.
Photobucket

And here here's Matt with them.
Photobucket
He said he did see it, but didn't look closely because he knew he wasn't supposed to.  He claims that 1) he had no idea I was getting them for him for Father's Day and 2) when he did see it the night before he thought it was just one of the two items...so he was still surprised.

This is what it is:
Photobucket
A rolling work bench and a tall storage cabinet.

Dad and Matt got to carry them into the garage!
Photobucket

And look who woke up?!
Photobucket

That night we also got the frosting on our front doors!
Photobucket

Isn't Nathan funny?  He just sat on Pappy's legs.
Photobucket

Might as well get something else done on this productive day!  We decided to eat dinner at Sonic on the way to Lowe's to buy some shelves.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Nathan was SO patient through this process!
Photobucket
He just loves those Lowe's carts.

There was a lot of calculating, measuring and comparing going on.  Nathan at least got a little tape measure out of it!  Now he can measure like daddy & pappy.
Photobucket

He even did well with less cart space!
Photobucket
Now how do we get those long boards home?

Good Ole' Rav4.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
This car has hauled a lot things for us!

When we got home we finished up our productive yet fun Saturday by completing the frosting project.  It was quite humorous actually.  You'd be surprised how many people this project takes!  The neighbors were sitting out in their garage.  Rudy yelled over that he could still see bubbles.  Funny.
 Photobucket
The frosting looks great.  I was dreading that project.  But the neighbors could all see straight into our house!  And since they use their garage as a porch,  it really needed to be done!   We like our neighbors, but privacy is good :)  I really should take a finished picture too.

And that concludes our Saturday!

1 comment:

mmncgrand said...

Enjoyed all of your posts Sonya. I even remembered to look at older posts. We love watching that entertainer. Thank you again.