Friday, June 1, 2012

Painting Our House!

Ok...not us painting it...but getting it done!  As I mentioned in the previous post, the guys showed up on Tuesday morning bright and early to get started.  We were AMAZED at how fast and efficiently they worked!  They were a joy to work with after a previous experience we had with a painting company.  Uncle Jerry referred Derwin, the owner of the company, to us.  They painted Uncle Jerry & Aunt Kathy's home a few years ago and were BY FAR the lowest estimate we received.  The really low quote worried us at first but since Uncle Jerry so highly recommended them, we went with it!  Plus they used a high quality Sherwin Williams paint...Super Paint.
 
Warning: Sorry if step by step processes bore you (they usually do me!)...I thought my dad and my father 'n law might care so there are pictures throughout the process!   If that's not for you...scroll down to the end for before and afters!  :)

When they got there a little after 8 on Tuesday morning they immediately began power washing the whole house and then caulking.  By the time we got back from the pool around 11:30, this is what we found...
Photobucket

They got a decent amount of spot priming done as well!
Photobucket
As you can see the house was tan to begin with and they are going to paint it grey...the grey color farthest to the left under the big window to the left of our front door.  The trim is going from a yellow color to a white that has just a hint of grey in it...mostly white though.  And the front door will go from dark green to a darker grey than the main color.  They are all Kwal Paint colors that Sherwin Williams matched.
Main: Excalibur
Trim: Deer Feather
Doors: Fate (same accent color that is on our fireplace and the accent in our bedroom!)

I really love these annuals!
Photobucket

The back of the house primed.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Starting to spray the house already! They were so quick in taping all the windows off.
Photobucket

I'm nervous...did I choose the right color?
Photobucket

Rodrigo (this painter) was so nice to me.  When they first sprayed this side it looked blue to me in comparison to where I painted samples even though I painted in 3 different places in different lights.  I wondered if the yellow trim made it look blue.  He was kind enough to offer to paint some of the trim in the white to be sure it was what I wanted.  Thankfully, the change in trim color completely changed the look of the paint from bluish grey to grey.  He said he's rather do that then have to repaint the whole house!  I still appreciated him not making me feel high maintenance.  I felt better but knew I would feel the best when it was all done and looked good!

Nathan making sure they are doing a good job before we run to Home Depot.
Photobucket

More progress pictures.
Photobucket

Photobucket

That afternoon daddy and Nathan working on our downstairs half bath.
Photobucket
Matt replaced the light fixture and faucet to brushed nickel to match the other pieces we already switched over.  In the process the sink chipped pretty badly and he decided to replace that as well!  He also put knobs on the cabinet doors. It looks great!  Nathan stuck close by him :)  He still needs to fix the caulking around the sink so I haven't taken pictures yet.

The painters left around 6:30...this is how they left it for the next day!
Photobucket

They just painted the trim around the garage doors...not anywhere else yet.  I can't wait for all of the trim to be white!
Photobucket

Oh yeah, except for this little bit of trim by the garage access door.  This is where Rodrigo painted to make sure I was okay with the color :) 
Photobucket

Photobucket

Nathan in the backyard that night as we check out their work :)
Photobucket

Day #2-  This was probably around two in the afternoon.  Nathan and I pulled the garbage bin in and checked their work while they took lunch! 
Photobucket

They painted the doors.
Photobucket


Nathan coloring at the table while Rodrigo was painting the back door.  Nathan trying to say "Rodrigo" was really cute!
Photobucket

Photobucket

They finished up by 5:30 that night!  It only took them two days!!  This second day they painted all the trim, the doors and did touch up.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

That same night.  Since we have new paint colors, the boys might as well get to work on the putting up the new light fixtures!  This picture makes me laugh...both bending over.
Photobucket

Photobucket

I like it!
Photobucket



Photobucket

Photobucket

And here's some before and afters for you.  I took the before ones back when we were still considering this home as were taking a walk through the neighborhood.

BEFORE
Photobucket

AFTER
Photobucket
You can see here that I took out a screen in the nursery!  The nursery is the room on the right above the garage.  I was cleaning the window and blinds the other day and decided the one screen in particular needed to be hosed off.  Everything is pretty much moved out of there now and ready for paint, the furniture to be put together and the decorating to begin!

BEFORE
Photobucket

On this one you can see the oxidation on the side of the house from the sun...the main reason it needed painted! And also, the fact that it had been 11 years.

AFTER
Photobucket


More of our front entrance:
BEFORE
Photobucket
We took the screen door off and sold it on Craigslist.  The painters did a great job of filling in the holes in the wood, sanding it down and painting it!

AFTER
Photobucket
So long yellowish trim, I don't miss you a bit!

Photobucket
We are so thrilled with the time it took them, the final result and how inexpensive it was! Our house just feels clean and fresh. We love it!

6 comments:

Deb said...

Looks very nice and inviting! Could you send them my way so my house project could be done in 2 days?!

Matt and Sonya said...

Mom Witt- I'd love to...but I think your project is a little bit more involved than ours was! You'll be done before you know it and all the hard work will be worth it :)

Darci said...

Sonya - The house looks great, love the color!

Matt said...

If I remeber correctly Nathan did more eating in the bathroom than working! That picture proves it!

Matt and Sonya said...

Awww, thanks Darci! :)

And you are right, Matt...Nathan didn't do too much working! :) When does he? You are a good daddy.

mmncgrand said...

Whether Nathan helped dor not he was very close to Daddy. I love those pictures when he is working with you Matt. Grandpa says Matt sure does have a buddy doesn't he? Your house is beautiful would love to see it in person.