Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Nathan's Band

The week after we got back from Pennsylvania, Nathan got fitted for a new accessory! He is now wearing a cranial band to round out his head as he has a flat spot on the back. Thankfully, he adjusted to it much better than I expected. The orthotist gave us a schedule for the first week were he gradually wore it more and more each day. By the end of the week he was wearing it for 23 hours and of course, sleeping through the night with it on!

This is the day he came home wearing it. He only had to wear it for a total of 3 hours that day. 1 hour on, 1 hour off. A few different angles for you to see it:
Photobucket

Photobucket

He didn't seem to mind it at all when laying on it
Photobucket

He learned to pull himself up on his own when we got back from PA. More on that later. The band has been nice to cushion his extra “spills” as he is exploring his new skills and toppling over in the process :)
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I think it was day 4 that he started wearing it for naps
Photobucket

On day 5, we went back in for a follow up appointment to see how things were going and to make adjustments as needed. Improvement was all ready noted in his measurements! This was encouraging and reassuring that we were doing the right thing, as well as the fact that he did not seem to mind wearing it.

This was from tonight, after 10 days of wearing it.
Photobucket

By the way, he got 2 more teeth in, totaling 7. I'm glad because I have been wondering, and giving him Tylenol in the meantime! He now has a 4th one on the bottom and a 3rd one on the top. I noticed the top one this morning while trying to put him in the car seat when we were leaving the gym. He protested and I was able to see his top teeth when he threw his head back in an effort to shimmy out of the seat. I have to rely on his displeasure and pictures to see his teeth! He doesn’t like me to check in his mouth very much. I noticed the bottom one when I zoomed in on this next picture. I think this is the one that he has been working on this past week.
Photobucket

I feel like this explains some things…like the Friday night before we left to fly home to CO when he was up all night with Grandma Liz (the top tooth). That just didn’t make sense at the time. Guess I can’t blame it on the strawberries she fed him :)
Photobucket

Photobucket

Walking with his daddy again
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a good boy Nathan to wear your helmet without protesting. It would be awfully hot here to wear that. I love it that he gets into things. Does he listen when you tell him no? A really cute age. This gma thinks every age of a little one is cute tho. Gma J.

Matt and Sonya said...

Thankfully, he hasn't been sweating in it much lately. I'm sure he would if it were really hot and he was working hard. But I think the opening in the top helps a lot. No, he does not always listen. We're working on it :) I'm trying to make sure he has a safe place to explore so everything is not a no.

Matt and Sonya said...

A P.S. to the above post- Nathan just let me check his top row of teeth. And correction...he has FOUR up there! 8 total. Goodness. He had 3 teeth coming at the same time.

Deb said...

No wonder his sleep pattern was altered - with all those teeth! Glad he has adjusted well, and very thankful that they can already see progress. Such a cutie!

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of him sleeping with his little leg out of the bed. I just want to pick him up and hold him. G. J.