Monday, October 13, 2008

Adventures in Castle Rock

A few weekends ago, Matt and I decided to take a quick trip up to the Castle Rock outlets on Friday night because he needed some pants for work. We often make trips like this last minute...unplanned, unresearched etc. So we pull in around 7pm...it took longer than planned because Castle Rock was further away then I remembered it being! No big surprise there. But assuming we have until at least 9...we sit in the car for a little while to finish the conversation we were having on the way there. We were in no real hurry and we were just catching up on each other's day. So Matt's regular routine of jumping out of the car was altered a bit and when we finally did get out...Matt hit the door lock and we both slammed our car doors simultaneously. You know what's coming next don't you? :)

Much to our dismay, we realize that the keys were still in the Mazda! It is the worst feeling in the world to be able to look into you car window and see that the very item that you need so badly, is in clear view...in the ignition! We have all been there. And the funny thing is, just a week or so earlier, we were talking about getting AAA. But of course, I had not signed us up for it yet.















For a few minutes, we are a bit astounded, trying to think of what our next action should be. Matt wanted to just bust the window open but we agreed there had to be a better alternative. We obviously needed to get into our car...but how? So we begin to walk around the outlet looking for security. I go into KB Toys and ask the clerk where we would find security. Here is where I discover that they are by the food court because "that is where they always are right before closing." Right before closing? Oh yes, the outlets close at 8pm on a Friday night. I guess we aren't going to get any shopping in after all!

We eventually track down security and they kindly inform us that they could easily get into our vehicle but that they aren't allowed to anymore because it is a liability for the outlet. Basically, we could sue them if they damaged the lock or our vehicle. Despite my attempt at convincing them that we would NEVER sue them...they wouldn't budge. Go figure. Their story confirmed what another lady employee at the outlet told us, that our only option was to call the locksmith...and pay $65 dollars!


You might not know this about me but one, I can be very determined to make an alternative solution work in these kinds of situations and two, when it involves money I become even more motivated. So Matt and I sit out on the curb to think of something else. We get the number of the locksmith and I ask Matt if he minds if I call them and see if we can get a deal somehow. He of course thinks I'm crazy but let's me give it my best shot. I call the lady at the locksmith and explain to her our situation. Keep in mind, I am very disheartened by this time and this is my last attempt to salvage a wasted trip, wasted gas and another $65 bucks on top of it! This lady had zero sympathy. I asked if there was any sort of discount they could offer, that that was a lot of money and were there any other options. She says, "that is what we charge, ma'am" with a tone that made it clear to me that she thought I was an idiot. I really don't blame her. It was just my last hope and so I tried it. I of course ended the conversation in tears because I was emotional and could not hold it in any longer.

The lady from the outlet came outside because she was leaving for the night and asked her husband who had pulled up to the curb if he had a wire hanger in his van. This was another thought that we had earlier as well. But none of the stores carry wire hangers anymore. We had never broken into the Mazda before, but thought it was worth a shot. Anyway, this sweet lady seemed to feel bad for us and hoped she might be able to help. Unfortunately, she couldn't, but we appreciated that she cared.

I do want to mention that before finding security, that Matt and I prayed quickly as we were walking outside. We whispered a thank you to God for this opportunity to grow as a couple and to not get frustrated with each other in the process. We prayed for his favor in this situation if He chose to grant it. We knew this was important, even though we weren't thrilled about the situation because we all know how these kinds of things can end if you aren't careful! And we just didn't want to be upset with each other in the midst of the frustration.

So anyway back to the story. The sweet lady and her husband drive away in their van and Matt says he still doesn't know what we are going to do yet, but he would rather us be by the car. So we start heading in that direction.
(I know many of you are thinking to yourself...just pay the $65 dollars already! And I must admit, we are nearing that conclusion.) We arrive at the car and Matt decides to call Uncle Jerry to see if he has a tool to break into the car. You see, I guess that most people don't just own Slim Jims, but I thought someone must because we always had one back home in PA for these occasions. But the big difference was...we owned a car wash. People often locked their keys in their car and my dad had to break in and get them out. I know...that is a very different circumstance. Uncle Jerry did not have the tool but was kind enough to call a friend of his who lived closer to where we were...who also did not have the tool. So we are about out of options and debating giving into the over-priced locksmith.

But wait! Matt spots a Lowe's across the street. He says to me, "do you want to go over and see if we can find some wire to break into the car with?" I figure, what do we have to lose now? So I agree. We walk the distance in the cold and step into the bright and cheery Lowe's store. We find a kind sales associate to whom we describe our predicament. They do not carry wire hangers but he points us in the direction of the best alternative he can think of.




We go down an aisle that has a few spools of different sized wire. We choose our wire, make our purchase and head back over to our little gray Mazda.

Back at the car we make several attempts to break in. I try to pry the door back with my cold fingers as Matt jams the wire into the tiny opening. Matt's idea was to hook the wire onto the door lock and pull it up. At one point the security guards come by. They yell, "You're still here, what are you guys doing?" We let them know we bought some items at Lowe's and were trying to break in. They kind of laugh and keep moving on. We try to stuff the wire in another way and hook it just right...no good. I try for a bit as Matt takes a break. No luck. My hope is dwindling.

Matt gives it another shot. He jabs the long wire in there (yes, the rubber weather stripping does have a hole in it now!) and finally gets it close to the lock. The problem is...even if when you get the wire there it doesn't appear as though there is enough of an edge on the lock to hook it. It looked to me like the wire would just slide right over it.

I begin to walk away, immersed in my doubts...when all of the sudden, I hear a..."CLICK!" Could it be? YES!!! Matt did it!! He hooked it and the door lock popped up. There was no greater sound to my ears at that moment. I delivered a well-deserving kiss to my hero before opening the door and retrieving our keys in the ignition!


We were elated, overjoyed, ecstatic! We jumped in the car and drove around the parking lot to the security guards making their last rounds for the night. They greet us with huge smiles when they see us driving up. "Way to go! How did you do it?" they asked. I gleefully lifted up the bound pack of wire from at my feet that saved the day. They were impressed and honestly overjoyed for us. They wanted to know how much it cost. When we told them it was only 8 bucks we all agreed that was MUCH better than 65!

Matt and I had a very happy trip home. We didn't care that we never even shopped, or that we spent the gas money for nothing. It was worth it to us because we felt a great sense of accomplishment. It was an adventure, and we succeeded in the end by working together as a team. Granted, it was Matt's idea to go to Lowe's and he was ultimately the one to break in in the end...but it was the wire that I suggested that worked-so I did contribute! :) We also recognized that God does answer prayers like this. He cares about the things that others may see as small. We know there are much greater things for Him to be concerned with...but He cares about the small things too because He cares about us and He loves to bless us. Just think if only we would ask Him more often instead of rushing to our own solutions first. My mom always laughs at me and tells me to call on my "Magician". Ever since I was a child I have prayed about the little things. But you know how many times God has answered those prayers? Countless small prayers He has answered. I don't want to lose that child-like faith. I don't deserve ANY of his gifts, nor does Matt, nor do you. But guess what? He doesn't bless us because we deserve it. He blesses us because He is abundant in grace. And He wants to heap His blessings on us.

I am so thankful that He is my Magician. And I love that He is the Great Magician who will only give what is right and pure and good for us! No one knows us better than He...so who better to put your trust in in every circumstance, big or small?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, Sonya - God is a Good Father.

I was just about to send you an email and call you a slacker with your blog so way to beat me to it :)

Carrie Gaul said...

Sonya, you are quite the blogger. You give more detail than I could possibly remember. Love keeping up with you guys through the blog.
Hope to see you soon and catch up in person.

RosebudWitt said...

Wow! How intense! Sounded very dramatic...glad things worked out! And I agree with Carrie...I am amazed at the level of detail you can provide! Work it. Love, Rosie

Anonymous said...

What an incredible story and what a testimony of a GREAT and MIGHTY GOD on your blog. You are such a blessing to me Sonya. Hang on to that child-like faith forever dear. Love Grandma

I was so happy to see something new today on your blog so thanks for the blessing.

Matt and Sonya said...

Wow! Apparently everyone was ready for another post. Ha ha. Sorry, I have been kind of busy with the job search but will try to do better :)

I do enjoy story-telling every once in a while...especially when it has a happy ending and is an example to us of God's love in our lives. Miss you all and love hearing from you!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a basic AAA membership is $69/ year, and would get you out of 3 more situations like this. My guess is that the cost of the wire at Lowe's, coupled with the eventual cost to replace the weatherstripping, is going to run you more than that. And then there is the cost for your time. That has to be worth something as well...

Matt and Sonya said...

Hmmm...a logical mind has written this last comment. But posted as anonymous, tricky! Well, hopefully it won't happen 3 more times a year because we could get an extra key made, right? And Matt said the weather stripping was deteriorating anyway. And by the end, we thought, time well spent! It was an adventure! . But this is coming from an emotional mind.

But I will give you that they are all good points. And we don't disagree. Which is why we still intend to get the AAA membership, just as we did before the incident. I just wanted to give you my arguments anyway! And also, I was just trying to tell a good story! :) Did you enjoy it, or cringe all of the way through? :)