Sunday, July 5, 2009

More PA Pictures

Here are some more pictures from our trip. David, Age, Colin, Matt and I had an afternoon and night to spend together. Matt and I got to go check out a house that a group of them at their church purchased a few months ago and are now doing work on to open up as a youth center in Sunbury. It is amazing to hear the stories of how God has provided in miraculous ways to get this ministry going. There is no doubt that His hand is in it. Sorry, I don't have pics of the house, just some of when we went out to eat and then back at David & Adrienne's for cards.
Classic Family Picture at OIP (Original Italian Pizza) :) Mmmm!
David and his collection of cards!

Mom saved an empty carton of this Turkey Hill ice cream for Matt. She meant to save the ice cream as well...but ice cream doesn't survive very well between mom & dad! But Matt and I happened upon this Touchdown Sundae ice cream at the grocery store. Matt LOVED it! It was delicious!
Photobucket

Photobucket

This is the last morning before our trek back to Colorado. Colin went along with us to the airport. Matt snapped a few shots of Colin and I on the deck and saying goodbye to Chance (my golden retriever). Chance is aging quite a bit and I never know if I'll see him again the next time we come home. :(
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
It is always difficult saying goodbye, but we are so happy when we get the chance to go home and spend time with my family!

On an upside though, on our way back to the Springs, we experienced some rough weather patterns. In Denver, I guess they were having some storms and very windy weather patterns. So we had a difficult landing in Denver...we were just about to touch ground after a roller coaster-like decent, and our pilot jerked us back up into the air because our plane was about to land on an angle. According to Matt, if the pilot would have landed the plane, "we would have been toast." Most passengers in the cabin were very shaken up- except for the 4 year old boy who says, "this is fun!" (You have to smile don't you?) I noticed that the girl my age sitting beside me was not doing very well, and felt a clear and distinct urging of the Lord to speak with her, bring His name into the conversation and use the opportunity of vulnerability to share my faith. Matt was laughing later because he said we were holding hands and clinging to each other as if we were lifelong friends. I don't know much about her, but that her name is Cora and she was afraid she would never see her fiance and dad again in Denver. I prayed with her on the second attempt at landing and just as the words uttered from my mouth, "Lord, please show Cora that you are in control of this plane, just as you are in complete control of her life..." we landed as smoothly as I have ever landed in all of my flying experiences.

Why do I type this story on the blog? One because I don't want to forget it as I too often do when I don't record the amazing works of God in our lives. Two, to be an encouragement to others that feel inept to share what the Lord is prodding. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. And at the end, she said I was like her angel, so I am not entirely sure she got it anyway! I also do not want to forget the immense joy I felt from simply obeying the Lord, in such a small way. It also made me grateful for the peace we have as Christians knowing that if our time on this earth does come to an end, the Lord has a reason, and a much better place He has been preparing for us! How scary to live not knowing what lies after this world.

You may have noticed that I said "on an upside" about our tumultuous landing in Denver. Now you know part of the reason it was a positive adventure. But the other awesome thing that came out of it were 4 free ticket vouchers to fly anywhere in the 48 continental states!! Due to the storms, many flights had been backed up going into the Springs. So Matt and I volunteered to be bumped...twice!! And received the 4 tickets. Isn't God awesome? Yes, yes He is.

2 comments:

mmncgrand said...

Bless you Sonya is your witness to those around you. So thankful that you had a safe landing in the end. Nice to get those tickets too. Praise God.

Courtney said...

I agree with grandma!