Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Sunday & Monday in PA

On Sunday morning we went to David & Age's church.   It was really great to see their pastor's wife, Julie Gaugler, a walking miracle. We spoke to her and Mike and it was just amazing to see what God has done.  I posted about her previously.  Since that post God has done such an amazing, graceful work in this woman's life.  She defied odds, surprised the doctors and is now home with the family she loves so much.  I'm just truly amazed at the road her and Mike have been down and the way they have allowed their lives to be used for God's greater purpose...no matter what that would look like for them.  Matt and I have truly been touched and inspired by their story.  I have been listening to Mike's sermons on their website.  We've been struck by the truth of the Word of God being "sharper than a two-edged sword."  I'm hungry.  Hungry for the Word of God.  I want to know my God through His words.  I don't want to read another book on someone's opinion.  My brother mentioned this to me awhile ago...about the danger of all of those Christian books we read, and now it is driving home for me.  I'm not trying to bash Christian books at all.  I'm just saying that for me, it's time to get to the source.  My Bible knowledge is far too weak.  And God uses the Holy Spirit to speak truth to us for any situation through the Bible.  That's where I'm at right now.  I don't have much of anything figured out but I know I'm enjoying the verse-by-verse approach and the how these verses are coming alive for me through Mike's teaching.  I'm looking forward to filling my heart and ears with God's word over some of the shows I mindlessly watch at the gym!

After church we had lunch at Country Cupboard and then David, Age & Colin came back to my parents for a swim!
 photo IMG_8125_zps06fa7e60.jpg

 photo IMG_8131_zpsbd1aa109.jpg

 photo IMG_8138_zpsba1f6302.jpg

How cute is this?
 photo IMG_8151_zps0e8f2132.jpg

Nathan joined us after he woke up from his nap!
 photo IMG_8163_zpsf45e4962.jpg

Waiting for Dad to come back with pizza!
 photo IMG_8173_zps056241e5.jpg

Nathan can't get enough of Colin!
 photo IMG_8170_zps3d6192bb.jpg

Grandma Berry stopped by after working on Monday.  Nathan was napping but she got some time in with Josh!
 photo IMG_8185_zps6886608c.jpg

It was really cute how he completely relaxed on her.
 photo IMG_8187_zps85409eda.jpg

 photo IMG_8195_zps6883b66d.jpg

With Grandma Liz
 photo IMG_8206_zpsfc621dd0.jpg

Because we worry about these dreadful stairs with the issues Gram has been having with her feet.  She really shouldn't be bearing full weight, so DPT Matt to the rescue on how to descend the stairs with the least amount of pressure :)
 photo IMG_8212_zpsf4eb3ee7.jpg

Mom and I went up to Geisinger Hospital that evening.  We didn't know how long Pap would be there before returning to the rehab that is next door to their home.  I wanted to see him so I tagged along with mom and we met up with Aunt Deb there.

It was really good to see him.  I knew he wasn't it good shape.  Since a surgery to remove his gall bladder a month ago, he has just had a difficult time.  I knew the pap I would see would not be the one I left in December.  I felt prepared for that.  We put our gowns and gloves on to go in and see him and Aunt Deb was talking to him when we arrived.  I sat down on the bed and took his other hand in my hands.  I have to say my heart just melted.  It was the same Pap.  He's not as strong, not always oriented well and has lost a good bit of weight.  But looking into his eyes my heart just hurt with love for this man.  This man that made my childhood so delightful every time I saw him.  When we were little he gave the biggest, hardest bear hugs!  I remember bracing myself fully expecting it to hurt a little but loving every moment!  And...walking away from him smelling of his strong cologne.  We would joke about that too...but I didn't mind it.  It was as if the aroma was a constant reminder of his love for me...his love for each and every one of his grand kids.  This man has such a deep love for the family in his life.

As I grew older and Matt and I would visit him and Gram to play Crokinole or dominoes, his sharpness of mind, incredible sense of humor and slow, patient wisdom were always enjoyed.  Last time we visited he spoke of his difficult past and revealed that he never struggled with resentment towards his parents.  He said that the Lord just protected him from that. Isn't that awesome?

So anyway, these are the thoughts that flood my memories.  I'm so grateful for the richness of my memories because of his legacy.  And he's still around to share more memories with and there are always wonderful glimpses of the pap I know and love.

When I first sat down and he focused on me and I said, "Hi Pap, it's Sonya.  I came in from Colorado."  He looked in to my eyes and paused.
Then he said, "You're beautiful."
Aww!  I melted.  I don't believe he's ever said that to me.  But when I was preparing myself for not the best visit, you can imagine that made my heart soar.  What a sweet man he is.  He always comes through.

In fact, Aunt Deb and Mom joked that he always pulls out his best for his grandkids!  They said, "Hey! How comes we don't get a greeting like that!"  The ones that have tirelessly been by his side the last few weeks.  ha ha.  It gave us all a good chuckle.

I saw Pap the following Sunday too and he was doing a lot better then than in the hospital.  He had a UTI in the hospital which you can imagine really took a toll on him.  So I'll post pictures of that Sunday when I get to that part of the trip.  I don't have any photos from this night.

Nathan ready for bed that night.  photo IMG_8222_zps1fa828c3.jpg

Isn't that Ape huge? ha ha.  photo IMG_8217_zpsf83fe6d0.jpg
And this is what it looked like in the middle of the night!  photo IMG_8230_zpsdf66a792.jpg
HA HA! I don't know how this was comfortable but it looks like mom accomplished her task of having him fall in love with this guy!

2 comments:

mmncgrand said...

I am going to have Deb show me how to download these sermons too on my ipad. It sounds like preaching I like to listen to.

Matt and Sonya said...

You totally should, Grandma! I think you would really like it!