Wednesday, May 6, 2009

We're DEBT FREE!!!!!

The day has finally arrived. The day of financial freedom! Matt and I have been working since we got married almost three years ago to be debt free by following some of the principles taught by Christian speaker and author, Dave Ramsey. Thanks to Pastor Greg who gave us Ramsey's book in pre-marital marriage counseling, thanks to John Dodgen for sending us to the LIVE event in Indianapolis, thanks to Josh & Amber for letting us take their FPU (Financial Peace University) class with them, thanks to our parents, family and friends for their love and support and thanks to the Lord for His incredible blessings...
WE ARE DEBT FREE!!!

This morning we made our final payment to NelNet for college loans and it felt great to see the $0 balance later this afternoon.

To back up for a second, I am behind on my posts and will have to update at a later date. Matt's dad and aunt were here two weekends ago and Matt's sister, Nicole has been out here this past week. Well, she is just too cute and when I woke up this morning and came out of our bedroom, this is what I found...to my delightful surprise!
Photobucket

Photobucket
Can you see the 100 Grand chocolate bars attached to the balloons?
Photobucket

Photobucket

Nicole had left early to meet a friend for coffee but she got back before we went
into work to wish us a "Happy Debt Free Day".
So...only "Debt" is showing here, but the part of the balloon that is not showing says "FREE!" Oops! Ha ha. Matt and I have been looking forward to this day for awhile now and it meant a lot to have Nicole here to share in the excitement with us! Thanks, Nicole! You are gem.
Photobucket
If anyone is wondering if the sacrifice is worth it...our answer would be a resounding, YES! If you are interested in learning more about getting out of debt, check out Dave Ramsey's website. No, he isn't God, but he has some practical, biblical principles that have the power to transform your life, if you are committed to it.

11 comments:

Deb said...

so very proud of you! Congratulations!!

Kyle and Darci said...

Congrats to you guys!!! Such an inspiration!! Are you going to call in to his show and shout it out?!?!?

My husband and I are still working to get there...THANKS to you for posting last year about Dave!! I'm addicted now...listen to his radio show, watch his tv show!! So thanks again!!

RosebudWitt said...

God is so good!!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations Matt and Sonya! Feels pretty good, right?!

Matt and Sonya said...

Thanks everyone! It does feel so good.:)

I'm not sure about the phone call just yet...I'm more excited about that idea than my husband :) But we are going to call Matt's parents FPU class for a shout out! So I'm excited about that :) So glad you guys are working the plan, Darci...you're next!

And yes, God is beyond good. We are blessed far more than we deserve.

Ellen said...

Congratulations Matt and Sonya! We enjoyed your shout out and your story. We are on the road to being debt free. It is worth it! Blessings to you, Rich and Ellen

Age said...

Hooray (again!) My favorite part of you being debt free was our double-date-phone-call last night, ha! We love you guys and are so glad to see the reward to all your hard work!

Carrie Gaul said...

Congrats. I know this has been difficult for you guys. God will bless your obedience!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you! What an inspiration you two are! I know it has been a long road! Who knew never throwing out even one bite could be so profitable?? LOL! Love and Miss you! Traci

mmncgrand said...

We are a little late in a comment since we just saw your blog Sonya. We didn't have internet very often at our FL location. Grandpa and I are very happy for you. God is good and you are serving him faithfully - he is rewarding that. Love and God Bless.

Matt and Sonya said...

Thanks Grandma, Dennis & Carrie, Age and everyone else! Your support has meant the world to us!

Traci! I laughed out loud when I read your comment. Debt free or not, there will probably never be a day that I will leave food at a restaurant...mine or yours! :) ha ha. At least not as long as I have a hungry husband at home!