Thursday, November 6, 2008

Brief Update

Sorry it has been so long. This post isn't going to be great...but least you will have heard from us! As you saw in the last post...I am working now. So our lives have drastically changed! We are very busy as I am getting settled in my job and am learning a lot of new things. Don't get me wrong. I am thankful for my position at Colonial Columns and I love working at the same place Matt does. I love overhearing someone talking about what a great PT Matt is. Or how much the little old ladies like him :)

I actually brought in my first admission yesterday and Matt was doing an eval on the patient while I had the patient's spouse fill out the paperwork in the patient's room. I loved watching him at work...he was so good with a somewhat resistant and confused patient. But he won her over and she cooperated. This particular situation was a difficult one as the husband had to leave her over night for the first time in 55 years because he can longer care for her on his own. It literally broke my heart. They are so in love with each other. The night before I was a mess because I thought we weren't going to be able to take the patient because I was having difficulty with the insurance company. Matt and I prayed earnestly for this couple and God answered our prayers! While this job is very challenging at times...it also offers great fulfillment in situations such as this.

Last weekend Matt and I went to a marriage simulcast at a local church with Josh & Amber. It was great. It was called "Fireproof Your Marriage" and was hosted at the church that produced the movie Fireproof. We have not yet seen this movie, but are planning on going. It has an outstanding message for husbands and wives. As a culture, we abandon our marriage vows way too easily. This movie stresses the importance of fighting for your marriage and setting aside your selfish desires to meet your spouses desires. Excellent message.

That's all I have for now. I'm exhausted. I was in Denver today for an all day meeting with all of the facilities in our region. Not to make it sound too terrible...I was the winner of laser tag...and bowling! :) We had fun after the meetings! It was a good opportunity to get to know everyone.

I hope to get some pics up here soon...I know they are more fun. :) We love you all!!

7 comments:

mmncgrand said...

Thank you for your update Sonya. I know that you will be a great asset at your work. How fun to be there with your man. It was good talking to Matt last night. Don't worry about your blog now. I love it, but I want you not to be so stressed out about it. Matt sounded so happy on the phone - what a reward for a grandparent. Love you both, G.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you got to go to that conference! There's nothing better than a good marriage conference. The movie and the book are really, really good. Mark and I are doing the Love Dare right now and its been great. Can't wait to see you! Love, Rosie

Anonymous said...

Fireproof was an AWESOME movie... you HAVE to see it! My mom and dad saw it and loved it so much that they made all 4 of their kids go see it and paid for our date night PLUS babysat... it's that good! :) Steve and I are also doing the LoveDare... you def need to get on that!!!! :) LOVE YOU!!!!

Matt and Sonya said...

Thanks girls for the feedback. We actually have the Love Dare as well...they gave it to us at the conference. And we are planning to go see the movie this weekend. I was always a fan of Kirk Cameron back in the day on 'Growing Pains.' Ha ha.

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha...that's funny about what you said about Kirk Cameron...I always kind of liked him as well :) Remember when he came to IWU? Good times.

Deb said...

You two are going to be such a blessing at that nursing home! Dad says hearing about Matt's relationships with his patients makes him miss Ashton Drug Store.
Love you both!

Matt and Sonya said...

Thanks, Mom! You are so sweet. We certainly hope we can be a blessing. I know Matt is for certain. I was talking with a resident the other day who went on and on about Matt. He said that any parent would be so proud to have a son like him. This man was really impressed with Matt's professionalism and knowledge. I am doing a testimonial on him tomorrow and taking pics of Matt giving him therapy! I will be sure to share it with you when it is completed. :) Thanks for raising your boy so well. I and many others benefit daily. Love you too!!