Sunday, June 19, 2016

Gram's Funeral- January 27th

I wrote about my Grandma passing in this post.

David spoke at the funeral and he did a wonderful job honoring Grandma and tying the gospel in as well.  That is really what it is all about.  I know it was hard for him and I was an incredibly proud sister praying and cheering him on (inside) the whole way!  Grandma would have been so proud.  Of course, she loved us all dearly.  But David was her first grandchild, and there's no denying that bond!




















After the funeral we drove several hours to where her and pap's burial plots are located.  This mean no meal with the funeral guests afterwards, but some more great family time.  We all loaded up in cars and headed up.  Dad, Mom, me, David, Age and Colin all drove up together.  My cousin's son had packed some sandwiches for us which was so sweet.

In Blair County they had a committal service.






















The pall bearers placing their roses on the casket.  This is Johnny.


Pap and his last remaining sibling, Aunt Sylvia,




Pap & Sylvia.


Aunt Sylvia and her daughter.


The handsome boy cousins!  Jeff, William, Johnny & David.


Gram would have loved seeing them all look so handsome!


The girl cousins!  Me, Jen, Whitney, Jessica & Annette.






Pap picked the casket and roses for grandma.


Mom and Aunt Deb.  I know it was so difficult on them caring for Grandma that last month and even harder saying goodbye and seeing the time flash by so quickly.  Grandma loved her girls to pieces.




This isn't a very good photo, but in Blair County we went to Gram's favorite hot dog place after!  I'm sure we looked crazy all parading in there in our black to eat Texas hot dogs.  But that's the Berry's for you!  Seriously, I appreciated this family so much when I went home.  We cried together, for sure. But we laughed too.  Oh did we laugh.  And it felt so good.  Everyone was grieving, but the laughter also soothed our hearts and brought us closer together.  Gram would have LOVED to have had hot dogs with us all there together.


I love all of these people so much.  And William by the way, is chief of the jokes.  He gets it from his Dad, Bill.


The next night David and Age were awesome and opened up their house for a cousin get together.  Another soul healing time with those I love.


I love this girl!  By her example I am encouraged to run to Jesus and His word.


The gals.


One of the days I was home Dad, Mom, David and I had lunch together at Panera Bread. We LOVE Age and Matt and our kids so much, but it was the first time it was just the four of is in ages. It was also a sweet memory I cherish.

I also continued to get updates from Matt on how it was going at home in Colorado.  Building Lincoln logs!


Some toys from their day with the VanHorns I think!  And totally cute in their Eagles gear.


Daddy let them buy chapstick/lip balm at Walmart!


Someone was really worn out from their napless days at friends houses!  He never just falls asleep on the couch!

It was good to see and hear how they were doing at home.

On Friday, while Pap, Uncle John, Uncle Bill, Johnny, William & David went gun shopping, mom and I cleaned out Gram's closet. That, was hard. But it needed to be done. It was SO hard and felt downright wrong to be at that house without her there. It hurt. Seeing this picture in her office made me smile. Sitting right beside one of her cardinals. She loved cardinals.


When Nathan heard Grandma was with Jesus he was a bit distraught that he never got to send her his latest "gift" for her. I made sure to take it with me, but didn't even think to take it to the funeral. Pap was saying I should have put it in her casket. So I left it at Pap's house.  It was a cardinal in a bird cage, on a photo frame:

Nathan knew Granmda loved cardinals. He sent her a few things while she was sick along with Mommy's cards. Even though I didn't get to be with her in that last month, I sent her several cards that said all that I needed to say. That gave me some peace as well.

Gram had a Bible that had so many dates of deaths and events in hers and her family's lives. I took some photos of that information while I was at her house too.


On Saturday morning I got to watch Colin's basketball game and then Dad drove me to the airport. Sending a photo on the plane to Matt and the boys. I was excited to get home to them!

No comments: